8.03.2011

Book Review: Samson's Lovely Mortal (Tina Folsom)

Synopsis:

Vampire bachelor Samson can't get it up anymore. Not even his shrink can help him. That changes when the lovely mortal auditor Delilah tumbles into his arms after a seemingly random attack. Suddenly there's nothing wrong with his hydraulics - that is, as long as Delilah is the woman in his arms.

His scruples about taking Delilah to bed vanish when his shrink suggests it's the only way to cure his problem. Thinking all he needs is one night with her, Samson indulges in a night of pleasure and passion.

However, another attack on Delilah and a dead body later, and Samson has his hands full: not only with trying to hide the fact he's a vampire, but also with finding out what secrets Delilah harbors for somebody to want her harm.

Review:

I have to admit, I was hesitant to start this one. First, it was a freebie on Amazon. Usually I don't shy away from a book based on that alone, but the title made me feel like it was more historical, which isn't really my thing. When I finally picked it up, though, I was pleasantly surprised.

I really liked Samson and the fact that he seemed to possess many human characteristics made him much more relatable. Sometimes male characters (especially vampires) are written so "perfectly" that it's hard to imagine them being real. The fact that Samson struggles with real issues (trust, candor and his, um, equipment malfunction) makes him more likable and believable. I also love the way he seems to pine over Delilah. His lust is instant but it doesn't seem to be enough for him.

Delilah was an interesting character, different from most heroines found in your typical vampire romance. Sure, she's swooning over Samson right away, and she's in danger from which Samson must protect her. But she's not a pushover and when things get dicey in their relationship, she pushes back. She stands her ground and doesn't back down. I also enjoyed the refreshing change of pace in the way that the author writes Delilah's reaction to Samson's true identity.

The story is solid, with more to the plot than just Delilah and Samson. There is plenty going on to keep readers interested, including fraud, scheming, manipulation, betrayal and pain. The characters are multi-dimensional and so is the story.

Rating:


I really enjoyed reading about Samson and Delilah.  Tina Folsom writes her plots and characters in a way that is real and believable.  I can't wait to read more books in this series (Scanguards Vampires).

Heat Factor:


From their very first encounter, the heat between Samson and Delilah is pouring off the pages.  They connect right away and burn through the rest of the story, even when they aren't in the bedroom.

If you're a fan of paranormal romance or erotic romance, this book is for you!

2 comments:

  1. My friend Laurie raves about this author often. I have the 1st 2 in this series. After reading your review I think I need to hurry up & get to them! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh the description definitely made me a bit curious. Awesome review :) I'll definitely look this one up. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete

I told you mine, now you tell me yours!