7.14.2011

Book Review: Negligee Behavior (Shelli Stevens)

Synopsis:

When lingerie heiress Brandy Summer gets cold feet and runs out on her Vegas wedding, she has nowhere to turn, —so she hijacks a hunky biker waiting for a red light and begs him for help. What she doesn’t know is that her instincts are right: the groom has a hidden agenda. He needs her money to pay off his gambling debts and she’ s his ticket to the good life.

Marco Vargas isn’ t sure what he’s getting himself into when he rescues Brandy, but figures he’ ll do the chivalrous thing. He offers her a job in his bar and the chance to sort out her feelings. But it seems that keeping Brandy hidden is easier than keeping his hands off her—and what will happen when Brandy discovers that Marco has secrets of his own?

Review:

I loved the premise of this book.  Not only does Brandy run out on her wedding, but she jumps on the back of a motorcycle and is whisked away into a new world.  A quick make-over and a new job and suddenly sparks fly and they fall in love.  I could almost call it a classic!  Throw in some great humor and steamy sex and you have the perfect contemporary romance.

Brandy turned out to be one of my favorite characters.  She's strong enough to know what she wants but she also has moments of weakness when she's unsure of herself and to me, that makes her very relatable.  She's also very funny (I was laughing through much of the book) and had a slight ugly-duckling syndrome due to her attempts to separate herself from the family business.  But of course, a make-over is inevitable and the siren that lives within her comes blazing forward.  That's when the heat really kicks up!

Marco was a great hero.  He had his moments where he was a complete jerk, but those moments moved the story along and were short-lived.  His attraction to Brandy is almost instant, happening well before her make-over.  This was a key element for me because I'm not a fan of the hero falling in love with the heroine only after he realizes she looks hot.  And of course, I loved his reaction to her make-over (it's not what you might expect) and the follow-up scene (it's exactly what you might expect).

I loved the side characters, too.  Brandy's mother, Marco's sister, his business partner, their employee.  They were all fun characters, well written and important elements in the story-line.  I would like to read more about them in future novels, but I'm not sure if the author is planning more books for them.

Of course, there's a reason Brandy ran out on her wedding and it wasn't just cold feet.  And although the story centers around this event, Marco isn't without his secrets, either.  The suspense isn't a large element in the story, but it's well written, weaved throughout the story, and everything comes to a head at just the right moment.  It definitely kept the story moving along at a good pace and kept me interested.

Rating:


Guy on a motorcycle rescues a girl then they fall in love.  What more could you ask for?  This was a fun, funny and entertaining read that I will definitely read again.

Heat Factor:


The chemistry between Brandy and Marco alone is enough to give this story 3 flaming hearts.  But Shelli Stevens does a great job of bringing that connection to life.  The love scenes are creative, deeply passionate and sometimes funny.  I have to give credit to an author that can make me laugh while the characters are having an orgasm.  You might not think it would work, but she pulls it off nicely!

In my opinion, this is a must read.  Go get it as soon as you can!

A copy of Negligee Behavior was provided to me for review by the publisher and netgalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I told you mine, now you tell me yours!