7.21.2011

ARC Review: Viper's Kiss (Shannon Curtis)

Synopsis:

Librarian Maggie Kincaid yearns for excitement—but being accused of espionage is not what she had in mind. Wanted by the police, the FBI and the criminal element, Maggie goes on the run—and runs straight into sexy Luke Fletcher. Unfortunately, when Luke pulls out the handcuffs, it's not because he has something kinky in mind...

Security expert Luke is intent on seeing the murderous spy known only as Viper brought to justice. The un-spy-like behavior of his fugitive makes him suspect he's apprehended the wrong woman. Just as they give in to lust, new evidence convinces Luke that Maggie's not as innocent as she claims to be.

Devastated by Luke's inability to trust her, Maggie runs again. She's determined to clear her name, and if that means tracking down a notorious spy even Interpol can't seem to locate, then that's exactly what she'll do...

Review:

I liked the plot idea and overall theme of this story. Unassuming librarian is mistaken for a dangerous spy, librarian must prove her innocence to the agent who's after her, librarian and agent fall in love, librarian is cleared of all charges and they live happily ever after. It's a good concept, but I feel like it was poorly executed in this book.

First, I'd like to say that I could have liked these characters. They were fun to read about. But there were so many things that bothered me that I had a hard time connecting with them and an even harder time believing what they were saying/doing. Maggie is a smart woman. She uses the situation around her to her advantage and despite the unusual predicament she's in, she's inventive and does what she can to survive. But she also came across as needy and sometimes pretentious, which was annoying.

Luke could have been a good hero. He had the potential. But to me, a good hero is intelligent and Luke came across as a little, well, dumb. Towards the end of the story, we read that they finally figure out how to prove that Maggie is not who they think she is. But the solution was so simple that it made me mad that they didn't figure it out sooner.

I think the story overall could have been saved if it wasn't for the Scooby-Doo ending. I'll just leave it at that and let you decide for yourself if you want to read it to find out.

Rating:


I didn't care for this book, however, I have read enough one star books to know that this one doesn't deserve to be in that category.  So, I'll give it two stars.

Heat Factor:


Hot under the collar!

There was some steam in this book, but again, there was potential for it to step up to the next level and that just didn't happen.

Viper's Kiss is scheduled for release on July 25, 2011

A copy of Viper's Kiss was provided to me for review by the publisher and netgalley.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I told you mine, now you tell me yours!