3.30.2011

Book Review: The Vampire Voss (Colleen Gleason)

Synopsis:

Regency London – a dizzying whirl of balls and young ladies pursued by charming men.

But the Woodmore sisters are hunted by a more sinister breed: Lucifer's own.

Voss, also known as Viscount Dewhurst, relishes the sensual pleasures immortality affords. A member the Dracule – a cabal of powerful, secretive noblemen marked with a talisman that reveals their bartered souls – the mercenary Voss has remained carefully neutral ... until Angelica.

Angelica Woodmore possess the Sight, an ability invaluable to both sides of a looming war among the Dracule. Her very scent envelops Voss in a scarlet fog of hunger – for her body and her blood. But he is utterly unprepared for the new desire that overcomes him – to protect her.

Now Voss must battle his very nature to be with Angelica ... but this vampire never backs down from a fight.

Review:

I have to say right off the bat that I wasn't overly thrilled with this book.  I'm not sure if it was the writing style or the time period or the characters themselves, but it was very hard for me to get into it.  Normally I will finish a book in about two days or less but this one took me five days.

The characters were difficult for me to relate to.  Again, it might have been the time period in which this book was set or the author's writing style (with which I'm unfamiliar since this was the first novel I have read by Colleen Gleason) but either way, I found them annoying and shallow.

The Woodmore sisters were irritating at best.  Maia was bossy and controlling and Angelica was erratic and unpredictable.  One minute she was being hunted by a vampire with a grudge and another minute she was dancing at a ball.  And with everything that was going on around them, they were more concerned about propriety and reputation than anything else.  In fact, as they sat contemplating how to resolve the issue of a homicidal vampire, they couldn't help notice that one of the men wasn't wearing gloves.  Really?  That's what you're worried about?

Voss was arrogant, which on it's own isn't necessarily an off-putting quality but he was also shallow and selfish.  In the beginning I thought I was going to like him but not far into the story I found myself irritated and annoyed by his behavior.

The story was also difficult for me to get into.  The premise of the story seemed solid enough, but the story telling was choppy and confusing.  It didn't seem like it was an important element in the book, only maybe a side plot.  The name The Vampire Voss should have told me that it would be mostly about Voss and his internal struggle but I had assumed that there would be more to it than that.

Rating:

I didn't hate this story.  I just didn't really care for it.  I just couldn't get into it and it was a struggle for me to finish it.  That being said, there have been some great reviews on this book.  Maybe historical novels aren't my bag.  There is a slight possibility that I might read the next book, The Vampire Dimitri, but I won't be rushing to get to it.

Heat Factor:


It's getting warm in here!

With a simple kiss being gossip-worthy in this historical era, it's hard to run with any sort of bodice-ripping intensity.  There are some passionate scenes but, for me, they are hardy anything to blush at.

Overall, I wasn't crazy about this book but if you like historical romance, this might be one for you to pick up.

An electronic copy of The Vampire Voss was provided to me for review by the publisher and netgalley.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I told you mine, now you tell me yours!