3.22.2011

Book Review: Kiss of Darkness (Loribelle Hunt)

Synopsis:

Winter, a hybrid, has spent her life at war. A group of humans who are part demon, the hybrids, along with the lupines and nightwalkers, have dedicated their lives to defeating demons and protecting humanity. Yet, despite their united cause, the three groups share an uneasy alliance.

When hybrid military compounds come under attack from demon insurgents, Winter has no choice but to turn to the lupines and nightwalkers for assistance. It's a partnership based on necessity and she has no intention of letting down her guard with either group.

Marcus, the nightwalker Lord, has other plans. The immediate attraction between him and Winter promises a passion he can't ignore. To claim her as his own, he'll not only have to fight the demons who seem hell-bent on destroying her, but her own misconceptions about him and the nightwalker race. It's a battle he refuses to lose.

Review:

Wow!  This book hits the ground running and doesn't stop (even at the end)!  I don't even know where to start my review . . . but I guess I'll try!

I was immediately drawn to the main character, Winter.  She is strong, independent, stubborn and bitter.  She's a natural born leader and is loyal to her people.  She will fight to the death if it means protecting the people she cares about.  But beneath the facade of her stone exterior is a woman who longs to be (and yet is afraid to be) loved, cared for, protected.  She is drawn to Marcus but fights his advances tooth and nail.  She has no interest in letting a Nightwalker into her life, let alone her heart.

Marcus is the alpha male.  Sexy, strong, dominant, possessive and protective.  He knows Winter is "his" and pursues her despite her strong objections to his advances.

The cat-and-mouse pursuit between Winter and Marcus is volatile and incredibly sexy!  Add in the danger and violence that surrounds them and the passion that ignites is as intense as it gets.

The story line drew me in, too.  From Winter's transition into a hybrid, to the attack, to the ensuing battles between the demons and the alliance of Hybrids, Lupines and Nightwalkers.  The author also starts developing side characters, too, allowing readers to get a glimpse into other relationships in the group.  The end of the book left me wanting more (in a good way) and wondering what happens next.  The cliffhanger was almost unbearable!  But I can't wait for the next book and I will certainly be picking it up on release day!

Rating:


I loved this book!  It grabbed me immediately and didn't let go.  I was completely engrossed in the plot and the characters from the very first page and had a hard time finding a place where I wanted to stop and put it down.  I would even go back and read it again if I didn't have a huge pile of books waiting for me to read and review!

Heat Factor: 



Steaming up the windows!

The passion between Winter and Marcus was incredibly intense!  Every glance, every breath, every hint of contact dripped with heat and desire.  Not to mention, I wouldn't mind it if Marcus restrained my hands with nothing but the power of his mind . . .

. . .

. . . Wha?  Huh?  What just happened?  Oh, right . . . Marcus and Winter.  Tre steamy!

Definitely pick this one up if you like your paranormal romance to practically burn the pages in your hands!

Kiss of Darkness is scheduled to be released on March 28, 2011.
An electronic copy of Kiss of Darkness was provided to me for review by the publisher and netgalley.com.

3 comments:

  1. The one bad thing about ARCs is having to wait even longer for the next book! That cliff hanger KILLED me, I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies, y'all have made my day and I just wanted to say thanks! Hopefully, I'll have news to post on book 2 soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Loribelle! I can't wait! Book 2 is one I would wait in line for! <3

    ReplyDelete

I told you mine, now you tell me yours!